Thursday, April 22, 2010


Ziggy visited my grooming table today. He is Jack Russell type dog with all the terrier terrorist attitude going on. He also has a skin condition which means for him...NO BATH. He gets a straight #10 all over shave off with his face left naturally wispy for character. He was particularly grumbly today so I knew that when I got to his front legs to be cautious. I managed to get both of his back legs, feet, between the toes and nails without incident. I even got his left front leg, foot, between the toes and nails done with out much of a fuss. However...that was that...he had zero patience left for his right front leg. I had already muzzled him before I started his left front leg...I know him well. I continued to work away at his right front with several pauses for him to calm his hissy fit and got it done. He simply has front leg issues and that is all there is to it. I choose to work calmly and steadily allowing him just enough time to settle when he begins with his flailing and such. With him, as with most difficult cases, maintaining a calm yet assertive state of mind and not turning to heavy restraints and an aggressive frame of mind seems to be the trick. I totally enjoy working on these challenging dogs and when it all over and they are on the floor...it is double joy to have them tail-wag their way over to me for petting.

No comments:

Post a Comment